THE FOX AND HOUNDS COUNTRY HOTEL
Terms & Conditions
Terms & Conditions
You have the right to use the website to gather information about the hotel for the purposes of determining whether to create a reservation. You may view, download and print pages of the website for personal use.
The website is regularly maintained and every effort is made to keep it up to date, however we do not warrant that all information is accurate or up to date and cannot be held accountable for decisions or actions made upon information provided on the site.
You may share images, pages and content from the website using common social media tools such as Pinterest, WhatsApp and Facebook and may link to the website from other websites or apps.
Permission to use images and content from the website shall normally be given for use in marketing materials that promote the hotel, however you first request permission in writing. Please email email@example.com stating the content you wish to use, the purpose for use and the intended destination or media.
Room Bookings & Reservations
Bookings of all rooms, including the Treehouse, at The Fox and Hounds, Country Hotel, Eggesford shall be bound by the terms and conditions detailed in this document and linked pages.
- Bookings made with the hotel are subject to the terms laid out in our Cancellations and Refund Policy
- A credit card is not required at the time of booking, unless a deposit is required, but must be provided at the time of check-in
- Failure to check-in or contact the hotel by 09:00 the morning after the day of check-in shall be declared a “no-show” and shall be treated as a cancellation
- All rooms must be occupied by at least one person over the age of 18
- Whilst every effort is taken to ensure accuracy in the rates and information given on the website, brochures and advertising, we reserve the right to alter, withdraw or substitute service or facility without prior notice, if necessary
- It is the responsibility of guests to alert the hotel to any food allergies prior to consuming food on the premises
- It is the responsibility of guests to make the hotel aware of any conditions that may affect their ability to evacuate the building in the case case of an emergency, at the time of check-in
Third Party Bookings
Bookings made through third party providers and OTAs (Online Travel Agents) shall be bound by the terms of the third party, any agreements between the hotel and the provider and by any additional terms stated by the hotel in this and linked documents.
Dining & Dining Reservations
- Reservations are recommended for Lunch, Sunday Carvery, Cream Tea and Dinner and are required 24 hours in advance for Afternoon Tea.
- Reservations can be made using the online reservations system on our website or by contacting the hotel by telephone or email.
- A reservation is not a guarantee of service and all services are subject to availability
- It should be noted that the restaurant is open to the public and that unless guests are on a Dinner Bed and Breakfast plan, or package that includes dinner, a room booking does not guarantee availability, nor priority, in the restaurant. Hotel guests are therefore advised to reserve tables early, if the intention is to dine at the hotel.
- A credit card is not required at the time of booking, unless a deposit is required for group bookings (see below).
- Dinner bookings are for 2 hours and all other sessions are for 1 hour 45 minutes. If you require a longer booking period please let us know and we would be happy to extend it, otherwise the table may be booked by another party at the end of the booking period.
- Late arrival – Booking slots are every 15 minutes and service priority is given to parties booked for the current slot. If you arrive late, we will do our best to seat and serve you in a timely manner, but please be aware that late arrival may result in delays to your service.
- Cancellation – if you need to cancel a reservation please notify us as early as possible so allow us to offer your booking to another customer
Failure to arrive within 30 minutes of your reserved time, without prior notification shall be treated as a cancellation of your booking.
- Group Bookings – A group booking is 10 or more people and require a deposit at the time of booking
- Group Bookings – Deposits for group bookings is equal to £10/person in the group.
- Group Bookings – Deposits for group bookings are fully refundable up to 48 hours prior to the reservation time. Cancellation after this time shall result in the forfeiting of the deposit
- Group Bookings – In some instances, pre-ordering may be required when booking a large group.
- Special offers, vouchers and packages have no redeemable value and cannot be parsed and are not subject to full or partial refund if not used
- Restaurant guests are permitted to bring their own wine or sparkling wine, however a corkage fee shall be applied
- We reserve the right to refuse service for any reason
Packages, Offers and Vouchers
From time to time the hotel may create special packages, offers and vouchers.
- Packages are subject to the cancellation and refund policy stated
- Individual components of packages cannot be parsed, have no redeemable value and are not subject to partial refund if not used
- Packages, parts of packages and vouchers are not transferable and cannot be exchanged for other services
- Vouchers may only be exchanged for the stated product or service and have no redeemable value
Deposits are required for three types of booking only:
- Treehouse reservations
- Christmas and New Year packages
- Group bookings, including weddings
Cancellation by the Customer
With the exception of Treehouse bookings, group bookings and Christmas/New Year packages, guests may cancel up to 48 hours prior to 15:00 on the day of check-in without penalty.
We strongly recommend short stay travel insurance with cancellation cover to protect against loss in the event of unforeseen circumstances. Please see the Cancellation and Refund Policies page for full details
Cancellation by the Hotel
We reserve the right to cancel any booking if:
- If the hotel, or any part of the hotel, including individual rooms is forced to close due to circumstances beyond our control
- Applicable deposits are not received by the date due
- The reputation of the hotel could be damaged by the booking
- A third party system creates a booking at an incorrect rate or creates a booking when there is no availability
Check-in and Checkout
Check-in time is at 15:00 on the day of arrival. If you arrive early, you are welcome to enjoy the grounds or have a drink in the bar or on the terrace. We are happy to store you bags, space permitting. In the event that your room is ready early, you may be able to check-in early. We do not charge for early check-in but please be aware that in order to give our housekeeping time sufficient time to properly clean all rooms, this option is not often available.
Checkout is by 10:30 on the day of departure. Space permitting, we are happy to store luggage for a few hours.
Please see our Important Times page for other key times, including meals.
No Smoking Policy
Smoking, including the use of electronic cigarettes, is not permitted in any part of the hotel. Smoking in rooms or any interior part of the hotel is grounds for expulsion from the hotel without refund. Smoking that leads to the fire alarm sounding, causes damage or requires additional cleaning to remove smells will result in a fine of £150, or the value of the damage, whichever is the greater.
Smoking is permitted in outside areas, except where otherwise indicated. Ashtrays are provided in designated smoking areas and additional ashtrays are available on request. Smoking represents a significant fire hazard, and we ask that you dispose of smoking materials carefully and responsibly.
Children are most welcome at the hotel. For their safety:
- Children must be under supervision of a suitable parent or guardian while at the hotel
- Guests recognise that there are dangerous bodies of water and other potential hazards associated with a country hotel and shall take all necessary precautions to monitor and safeguard children
- All rooms require at least one person over the age of 18
Fold away beds and travel cots are available and should be requested at the time of booking. A children’s menu is available for lunch and dinner. Infants 2 years and younger stay free at the hotel. Child room and dining rates refer to children aged between 3 and 12 years old.
The hotel is very dog friendly and dogs are permitted in all parts of the hotel, including dining areas, with the exception of a few guest rooms. For the benefit of all guests the following rules apply:
- We welcome all well behaved dogs at the hotel. If your pet is aggressive towards other guests, other dogs or barks excessively, you may be asked to remove them from the premises, without refund. If you are uncertain about your dog’s social skills, please consider leaving them at home.
- A maximum of two dogs are permitted per room. If you have larger dogs, please call the hotel to ensure that the room size is appropriate to the size and number of dogs you plan to bring.
- A charge of £10 per dog per night applies during your stay. If additional cleaning is required, then additional charges may be applied.
- We reserve the right to recover any costs for damages or loss of business caused by your dog, including damages to the hotel furnishings or property, loss of business from decommissioning and from disturbances to other guests leading to loss of revenue or reputation.
- Dog bins are provided on the property and it is your responsibility to clear up after your dog in all areas of the grounds.
- You are responsible for your dog at all times. Dogs must be under close control at all times and must be on lead in all areas of the hotel and upper gardens. Well behaved dogs that do not bark may be left in guest rooms for short periods of time only, for example, if you prefer not to bring them to the restaurant. Dogs must not be left unattended for prolonged periods, or if you leave the hotel.
Please see our Dogs at the Fox & Hounds page for further information.
Evacuation routes, emergency exit locations and assembly point are posted in all rooms and additional information is provided on our Building Evacuation page. Guests should familiarise themselves with these locations and procedures upon arrival at the hotel.
We conduct weekly fire alarm tests. These normally take place on a Tuesday between 10:30 and 12:30 but this may occasionally vary. Notification of fire alarm test is displayed at reception and at the breakfast buffet on the morning of the test and we endeavour to alert guests in public areas ahead just ahead of the test. The alarm will ring for approximately 10-15 seconds. Guests are not required to exit the building during the fire alarm test.
We conduct unannounced fire drills a least twice a year. Guests should treat these as an emergency evacuation and exit the building promptly and gather at the assembly point.
Damages and Reimbursement
The hotel is entitled to recover any costs for repair or replacement of damages caused by guests, members of their party or their pets . In the event that damages also lead to potential loss of revenue by limiting availability of facilities or services, such costs may also be recovered.
Furthermore, guests agree to reimburse the hotel for any losses or liabilities, including fines or penalties, arising from your actions or negligence that cause damage or suffering to the hotel, its staff contractors or other guests or visitors to the hotel.
Lost keys that are not returned to the hotel shall be charged a £50 replacement cost.
Guests and visitors agree to conduct themselves in a civil and orderly manner at all times while at the hotel and to behave respectfully towards staff, contractors and other guests or visitors to the hotel.
Guests will not engage in unlawful activities, will at all times comply with all licensing, Health and Safety and other regulations relating to the hotel and agree to follow all reasonable direction and instruction from staff and hotel representatives.
For the protection and well being of its staff and guests, The Fox and Hounds Country Hotel operates a Zero Tolerance policy for threatening, abusive, dangerous or violent behaviour. This behaviour includes:
- Using bad language or swearing at staff or other guests
- Physical violence such as pushing or shoving
- Verbally abusing or verbally insulting staff or other guests
- Racial abuse and sexual harassment will not be tolerated within this practice
- Persistent or unrealistic demands that cause stress to staff. Requests will be met wherever possible and explanations given when they cannot
- Causing damage/stealing from the hotel premises, staff or guests
- Excessive drunkenness or rowdiness that affects the peace of other guests
- Refusal to follow directions or instruction provided by hotel staff or management
Guests found to be behaving in an unacceptable manner will be asked to cease and desist and offered the opportunity to speak to a senior member of staff to resolve the issue. Continued abusive behaviour will result in the guest being warned that they are in breach of our policy of acceptable behaviour and asked to vacate the premises without compensation or further obligation by the hotel. Refusal to comply with this request shall result in the police being called.
The Fox and Hounds Country Hotel is intended to be a peaceful and relaxing escape for guests and we ask that guests be considerate of other guests and neighbours with respect to noise after 10:30pm while in their rooms, in public areas of the hotel and grounds.
Loss or Damage to Guest Property
The Fox and Hounds Hotel cannot accept any liability for any loss or damage to the personal property of any client or their guests whilst on the hotel premises, save for the provisions laid out under the Hotel Proprietors Act 1956, which states that an hotel proprietor may in certain circumstances be liable to make good any loss of or damage to a guest’s property even though it was not due to any fault of the proprietor or staff of the hotel. This liability however:
- extends only to the property of guests who have engaged sleeping accommodation at the hotel;
- is limited to £50 for any one article and a total of £100 in the case of any one guest, except in the case of property which has been deposited, or offered for deposit, for safe custody;
- does not cover motor-cars or other vehicles of any kind or any property left in them, or horses or other live animals.
This notice does not constitute an admission either that the Act applies to this hotel or that liability thereunder attaches to the proprietor of this hotel in any particular case.
Any property left in a room by guests is collected, labelled and stored in a designated lost property area. For items that appear to have a value over £50 or may have sentimental value, the hotel shall endeavour to contact the guest. Smaller items such as phone chargers, toothbrushes shall be stored.
Please call or email the hotel if you believe you have forgotten anything stating your name, room number and date of stay. We are happy to arrange the return of all items by DHL or similar carrier.
Items not claimed within 90 days may be disposed of, or given to local charities.
Electrical sockets in the hotel are standard British Type G sockets with an electrical tolerance of 230V -6%, +10%, with shaver sockets in guest bathrooms. Guests using their own appliances at the hotel do so at their own risk and the hotel accepts no responsibility for damage caused to appliances. Appliances that are older than 12 months should have been PAT (Personal Appliance Test) tested and we reserve the right to charge for damage caused by use of unsafe guest appliances.
The hotel has access to fishing beats on the River Taw and River Torridge and fishing can be arranged through the hotel. Anglers agree that fishing and access to these properties and waters is entirely at their own risk and agree to be bound by our Fishing Terms & Conditions.
Privacy and Personal Data Protection
- We do not store payment information on any internal systems
- We do not sell or share personal information with third parties for marketing or other reasons unless you explicitly ask us to do so
- We collect and electronically store the basic contact information necessary to create a room or dining reservation
- Credit card information is encrypted and stored by a third party certified PCI compliant system which provides the hotel with a tokenised identifier against which the hotel may take limited payments without knowing the credit card number or details
- We may also collect essential health information such as food or other allergies and conditions that may affect your ability to safely exit the building in the event of an emergency for the purposes of keeping you safe
- We limit access to your information, take appropriate measures to protect your information and only use your information when we have a lawful purpose for doing so
- As a client of the hotel with whom we have an existing business relationship, we may occasionally send you emails relating to your reservation or promotions. You may elect not to receive these emails, either by unsubscribing or contacting us to be removed
- Data that we collect is used only to service our existing relationship with you and to help improve our services, normally in the form of general trend reports
- We maintain personal data for a limited time as required and prescribed by agencies such HMRC. Reservation related data is anonymised after two years, removing personal information and available only for reporting trends. Email marketing lists may be maintained for a longer period or until customers unsubscribe
Contact, Customer Service and Complaints
Our goal is that all of our guests have a thoroughly enjoyable stay with us at The Fox and Hounds Country Hotel. We recognise that sometimes however not every stay is perfect and we welcome the opportunity to work with you to ensure all parties are satisfied.
If there is any part of your stay that was unsatisfactory, please let us know. We will respond promptly and do our best to find a fair solution that you’ll be happy with. Please contact the hotel in writing, by email, or telephone:
The Fox and Hounds Country Hotel
Chulmleigh EX18 7JZ